Title: Mechanical Design Simulation Practice
To make acquainted the students using computer aided engineering tools to design and
analyse the structural, fluid flowand heat transfer related systems.
||At the end of the course, a student will be able to:
- Create 1D, 2D and 3D Finite Element Models of mechanical systems.
- Understand the solution techniques available in computer aided engineering tools.
- Evaluate the design of mechanical systems by conducting stress analysis,
thermal analysis or fluid flowanalysis.
|List of Experiments/Exercises:
||I. Static Structural Analysis - Creation of Finite Element Models and Evaluation of Displacements, Stresses and Reaction Forces of
II. Dynamic Structural Analysis - Evaluation of natural frequencies and mode shapes of
- axially loaded members – using bar and truss elements
- transversely loaded members – using beam elements
- combined axial and transverse loaded members – using frame elements
- thin plates or discs – using four or eight node quadrilateral elements (plane stress)
- long pipes or dams – using four or eight node quadrilateral elements (plane strain)
- brackets – using four or ten node tetrahedrons or eight or twenty node hexahedron elements
III. Thermal Analysis - Construction of Finite Element Models and study of temperature distribution in
- axially and transversely loaded members
IV. Steady state fluid flow analysis - Building of Finite Element Models and study of velocity distribution of fluid in
- fins or composite plane walls using one dimensional elements
- chimneys or other plane sections using two dimensional elements
- channels or pipes over bluff bodies