|Experiment No. 9: Soil Direct Shear Test||
Print this page
2. For undrained tests, place a serrated grid plate on the porous stone with the serrations at right angle to the direction of shear. For drained tests, use a perforated grid over the porous stone.
4. Place the box inside its container and mount it on the loading frame. Bring the upper half of the box in contact with the horizontal proving ring assembly. Fill the container with water if soil is to be saturated.
5. Complete the assembly, remove the clamping screws from the box, and initialize the horizontal displacement gauge, vertical displacement gauge and proving ring gauge to zero.
6. Set the vertical normal stress to a predetermined value. For drained tests, allow the soil to consolidate fully under this normal load. Avoid this step for undrained tests.
8. Determine the moisture content of the specimen after the test. Repeat the test on identical specimens under different normal stress values.