|Observations and Calculations||
Print this page
1. Obtain the mass of soil retained on each sieve. The sum of the retained masses should be approximately equal to the initial mass of the soil sample.
2. Calculate the percent retained on each sieve by dividing the mass retained on the sieve with the total initial mass of the soil.
3. Calculate the cumulative percent retained by adding percent retained on each sieve as a cumulative procedure.
4. Calculate the percent finer by subtracting the cumulative percent retained from 100 percent.
5. Make a grain size distribution curve by plotting sieve size on log scale and percent finer on ordinary scale.
6. Read off the sizes corresponding to 60%, 30% and 10% finer. Calculate the uniformity coefficient (Cu) and the curvature coefficient (Cc) for the soil.