Determination of quantitative size distribution of particles of soil down to fine-grained fraction.
Set of sieves (4.75 mm, 2.8 mm, 2 mm, 1 mm, 600 micron, 425 micron, 300 micron, 150 micron, 75 micron), Balance (0.1 g accuracy), Drying oven, Rubber pestle, Cleaning brush, Mechanical shaker.
1. Take a suitable quantity of oven-dried soil. The mass of soil sample required for each test depends on the maximum size of material.
2. Clean the sieves to be used, and record the weight of each sieve and the bottom pan.
3. Arrange the sieves to have the largest mesh size at the top of the stack. Pour carefully the soil
sample into the top sieve and place the lid over it.
4. Place the sieve stack on the mechanical shaker, screw down the lid, and vibrate the soil sample for 10
5. Remove the stack and re-weigh each sieve and the bottom pan with the soil sample fraction retained on it.